Monday, July 16, 2012

packing and purging...

Well, the big move should happen in a couple of weeks. Still no exact date of arrival for the trailer, so planning for the move hasn't been easy. I just want to get it over with. I want to get there and start getting settled. So much still yet to do though. I've been going through things, and doing lots of purging. I guess one good thing about downsizing is that you have to ask yourself...do I really like this item, is it worth keeping. I'm really quite amazed at how often the answer to that question is "no". I really don't have a lot of things that I feel all that attached to. There are some neat wood carvings that I have that my ex's dad made. They're really cool...and I loved "paw-pa" but to be honest, I just don't feel like those things are all that special to me. So, I've given them to my daughter who just moved into an apartment of her own. She is really the only one of my kids that remembers her Paw-Pa, so I thought she might want to have these special things that he had put a lot of time into. She was happy to get them and it made me feel good to give them to her.

I think I'm excited to decorate my little home the way I want to decorate it. When I was married, he was a very opinionated man...and he liked to decorate. I remember when we first got married, I was excited to decorate. But, he was overbearing on what he liked, and I wasn't and gradually over the years, he took over. He was good at it too, so even though I felt like it was a "woman's job" I allowed him to take over. However, by the end of our 16 year marriage, he had become somewhat of a collector...of many, many things! He went to garage sales constantly and was always picking up stuff. We had LOTS of stuff. That's the stuff that I pay $90 a month to store...and some of it I still have in my home. But I don't want it anymore. I want to let go of all that was ours and get stuff I like. Stuff that will make me smile.

To be honest...I'm not even sure what I like. But somehow, I think it's going to be fun finding out!

By the way, here is a link to an article that I found facinating! This explains pretty much how I have felt about moving into a trailer. It's been hard for me to accept because of other people's negative views. Slowly,  I'm coming to the point of exceptance and even anticipation...but it's been a hard way getting there. This woman understands!

http://offbeathome.com/2012/07/trailer-trash-stigma

No comments:

Post a Comment